Saturday, June 13, 2009

Rainy Nights

This year has been suprisingly wet in North Carolina. We are used to suffering through drought after drought, but this year we are having a surplus of rain.

Until recently, a whole day of watching it rain would send me into a deep state of misery or depression. I would run through the house and open every window blind to try to get more light to come into the house, in vain, of course.

Now it rains almost every evening, and on some days it rains 2 or 3 times a day. The rain is becoming more of a companion now. Only once or twice lately have we had a sunny day, and I find myself thinking it is odd and actually looking for a rain shower. As it warms up into the 80s now, we are having thunder storms every night after dinner.

Luckily, we have not had any flooding where we live, but I do cross a river everyday to go to the city. It looks like a red raging river of liguid clay.

The flowers are really loving it, though!! It has been the greenist year I can remember.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9 comments:

kendalee said...

I must admit I do find days and days of rain a bit gloomy but that's because we really do have an excess of them here. But I LOVE stormy, rainy nights after a warm day! Nothing beats that smell of rain on hot earth... And everything feels washed clean afterwards - lovely!

And how beautiful your flowers are looking for it. Stargazer lilies are some of my favourites - they smell so spicy and delicious. And who cannot love a hydrangea?

Dagmar said...

Love the colors in the garden. And all this because of the rain. If it falls down at night notting to worry, you can enjoy the sun during the daytime.
Hope that river stays in it's banks.

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

For me, rainy days signal a desire to retire inside, to the depths of my core and contemplate. Too many gray days can deplete the spirit, just as too many sunny days dry out the soul. I suspect we are given exactly what we need at the time we need it. We may not understand the timing, but when we are receptive, we thrive.

Anonymous said...

stormy nights are good for snuggling in bed with a good book. not so much of a fan of stormy days.

Relyn Lawson said...

Your blog header is so amazing. Did you take that image? Wow! Thanks so much for dropping by my blog. It's so nice to "meet" you.

Chris said...

I agree. We've had lots of rain and cloudy, cold days, which is very unusual for this time of year around here. We SHOULD be having hot sunny days with the occasional thunderstorm, but not endless gloomy rains :(

Beautiful pix, though!

Wildflower Studio (Michelle Dransart) said...

What beautiful greenery the rain has made for you! I get a little down with too much cold or gray weather, I need a little sun shine to peek through at least once a day. But I love rain and all the green it brings, and especially falling asleep to the beautiful sound.

Beverly Ash Gilbert said...

Oh, your hydrangeas are already in bloom - one of my favorites, beautiful for so many seasons in and outside.

joyce said...

I like rain, as long as it doesn't get carried away. Luckily I live in an area where steady rain for more than a few hours is extremely rare.